American Idol Group #2

Well here we are - the 2nd 12 in the Top 36 have now performed for American Idol viewers. I have to say, I wasn't exactly impressed with the majority of the performances. For a while, the highlight of the night was Jeanine Vaills' legs. Yep, you heard that right. After three performances in, that was the best thing so far. Thank goodness if started to get better but those good performances were few and far between. Here is my recap:

The Good ...

Megan Corkerie -- "Put Your Records On" by Corinne Bailey Rae -- I think some of the judges gave her better feedback than she really was. She's definitely got a unique sound, but she seemed to me like a little kid singing at a family party. Just needs more stage presence to be a contender.

Kris Allen -- "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson -- My friend Shae will hate me for this, but he was just alright. As Simon would say, forgettable. In fact, when Shae asked me what I thought of him I had to ask who he was. If you're going to pick a Jackson song, this isn't the one to pick. In the end, he has a nice voice. He'd be better to go back to leading church music.

Meshavonna Henson -- "Drops of Jupiter" by Train -- The problem with her performance is that she falls into the "safe" category. On a show like this, you have to be great if you expect to advance. The judges hit the nail on the head when they said she was "too serious." There was no connection to the audience. In the end, the girl can sing though.

Jessie Langseth -- "Betty Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes -- One word: Blah. Seen it before. Sounded ok, but the original was sung in a much huskier voice which made the song a hit. She needs to "get dirty" with a song like this.

The Bad ...

Jasmine Murray -- "Love Song" by Sarah Barailles -- Next time Jasmine, read the words and understand the song you're singing. This is a song about the fact Barailles didn't want to write the generic love song her label wanted. Murray seems to think its an angry woman singing to her evil ex-boyfriend.

Matt Giraud -- "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay -- Pick a song you can actually sing.

Matt Breitzke -- "If You Could Only See" by Tonic -- This was one of my favorites from the audition shows. I can't express how disappointed I was. He took a cheesy song and made it even worse.

And The Ugly...

Jeanine Vaills -- "This Love" by Maroon 5 -- If the only thing Paula Abdul can think of to say to you is "Great legs," you know you sucked.

Kai Kaloma -- "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" by Paul Young -- more corny than Iowa.

Someone with his Own category ...

Nick Mitchell aka Norman Gentle -- "I am Telling You" parody -- I have to say, this is a guilty pleasure of mine. I loved this guy in the auditions and was surprised that the judges actually put him in the Top 36 (This is why you didn't make it Jamar). While he was VERY entertaining, it was just a mess vocally.

And for the Best of the night...

Allison Iraheta -- "Alone" by Heart -- When they showed her during Hollywood week, I was excited to see her perform live. Looking at her I would not expect that she is as good as she is. She's only 16 and is singing circles around the rest of the girls. If she doesn't win the girl vote tomorrow, I will be surprised.

Adam Lambert -- "Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones -- Incredible. He actually looked like he had already won the entire competition.

My picks for this weeks winners...

Adam Lambert
Allison Iraheta
Nick Mitchell

I know, I know. I don't want Nick in the Top 12 either but people like him so much I think they may just vote him in. Besides, I don't see anyone else who belongs in the Top 12 besides Allison and Adam. Megan, Meshavonna and Jessie could all end up in the Wild Card round although I don't think all 3 will make it. For the record, I picked all 3 correctly last week. ha!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments