My FIRST Award!

That's right ladies ... I got me an award. And I didn't have to wait 17 years like Susan Lucci. Just about 17 minutes actually. See, whining does work! (For the record, I wasn't being serious earlier today.)


John over at Gay Dads In Munchkin Land has bestowed the HONEST SCRAP award unto my humble blog! If y'all haven't been to his site, you should go take a long. Nothing is funnier than observing your kids and writing about the things they do each day.

"This award is bestowed upon a fellow blogger whose blogs content or design is, in the giver's opinion, brilliant."

I can't say I have ever had someone call my ramblings brilliant, but let's go with that.

My word wasn't as good.

Or have as many syllables.

More syllables means it's a better word, right?

Apparently, this award comes with strings! I am now supposed to post 10 "honest" things about myself! I think this is the real reason John gave this to me .... He wants to know my dirty secrets! Well, here we go:

1. I am obsessed with ESPN. My partner hates it, but I could watch NCAA sports all day long. He even tried to revoke my gay card. Thankfully, Brett proved even gays like sports - and not just the athletes.

2. I have a man-crush on Paul Rudd.

3. I hate my bed. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bed. But when you've been stuck in it for two years, you start hating it.

4. Two of my guilty pleasures are reading Perez Hilton and TMZ. I know. I'm a dork.

5. Back in college, I spent 10 weeks working at a church in Sydney, Australia. I would LOVE to go back there and see the people I got to know and to see even more things I didn't get to see the first time. Would also like to go to : Ireland, Rugby HOF in England, New Zealand & Paris.

6. I have been with my partner for 5 years now. Honestly, I didn't know if it would last this long, but somehow we haven't killed each other. Somehow, I keep missing his head.

7. I hate people who get preferential treatment. In fact, my partner and I were just discussing this a minute ago. As much as I like college sports, I think the athletes get way too much - especially in basketball and football. So many of the athletes get scholarships to go to college yet can barely even graduate high school or pass the exams to get into college. Yet students with high grades and test scores in high school many times can't go to the same schools because they can't get a scholarship. Where is the fairness in that? Especially when so many of those athletes don't even graduate college or even plan to.

8. I hate being in social settings with a large group of people. Now those of y'all who know me personally know that I've always been an outgoing person. That's why I loved doing extra-curriculars and being around people - I could talk to anyone with ease. Now, I avoid it any cost thanks to my disability. Being homebound for so long, you just get used to being alone and it becomes preferable. Not a good thing, but it's the honest truth.

9. We have two dogs that we have taken in as rescues. Our first dog was Pokey who was a 6-month-old stray mixed breed who was very skittish around strangers - until he met us. We were warned that he may not come near us when we first met him. Wrong. He jumped in our laps and started licking our faces. We had to take him home with us. He is now 4 1/2 years old and he still isn't fond of strangers, but he doesn't bark and run anymore. He will stand his ground and he warms up to visitors a lot easier now thanks to us adding a 2nd dog to the family.

Our second baby is Dakota, who is a golden retriever. We got her when we offered to take her in when a friend's family decided they'd rather get rid of her than to pay a pet deposit. Originally, it was supposed to be a short-term thing but our friend said that she'd leave her be with us if she was happy with us. A year later she tried to get her back but we weren't about to do that. When we got her, she was matted and was given very little attention. They used to put her on her leash INSIDE their apartment attached to the railing outside the front door. How could we give her back after she was neglected and abandoned? Now, she is almost 10 and she has become a dog again! No more laying around all the time - now she even likes to play with Pokey. That was something she never did before.

10. I truly miss getting the chance to sing. I know most of y'all haven't heard me sing, but I know Rebekah has. She can tell you how much I always loved doing it.

So now y'all know a bit more about the man behind the ramblings. I promise tomorrow I will post about who I will give the award to!

This entry was posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

love john - hes great! just stopping over from his place to say hi! :)

its nice to have a bit of quiet time every now and then for sure. i like the group thing, but its good to be at home too sometimes.

have a good weekend and congrats on the award!

gratz rook!!! hugz and all that... do u have to post 10 more things if i already knew all that??