Eye For An Eye

Well, in this case it was an arm and a leg for the cell phones and guns that four Somali men allegedly stole. That's right. The men were found guilty of theft and therefore they each had one arm and one leg amputated.

"We have convicted them of theft, so they deserve to have their arms and legs amputated," said Sheik Abdul Haq, the al-Shabab judge in the capital, Mogadishu.

The U.S. considers Al-Shabab a terrorist group with links to Al Qaeda, a claim that Al-Shabab vehemently denies. The group, which controls much of Somalia, is trying to drive out the government and replace it with a strict form of Islam.

"These sentences were ordered by a sham al-Shabab court with no due process or guarantees of fairness," said Tawanda Hondora, Amnesty International's Africa deputy director. Amnesty International had appealed to Al-Shabab to not carry out the sentence but obviously that fell on deaf ears.

Am I the only person who finds this disgusting? I cannot imagine why any rational person would want to live under this kind of system. There's the catch though ... these are NOT rational people.

This entry was posted on Saturday, July 04, 2009 and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

I'm actually not disgusted. I wish we had this system in the US...would certainly deter crime I think.

Then again, I'm speaking as a person who's been the victim of theft so I'm not exactly impartial.

About a month ago I stopped 3 men from trying to steal $1500 worth of booze from the store where I work. They came back Wednesday night after the liquor department closed and stole the booze they didn't get when I was there. Apparently they've hit several stores in the area. I think with the threat of having their hands cut off if they got caught might deter them from even trying. If they do get caught, they'll just sit in a cell for a few months then they'll be out to rob more stores.