When I was a kid, one of the my favorite things to get each Christmas was the "art box" my grandmother would make for me each year. She would take my grandfather's cigar boxes (they were very deep) and would use shelf paper to cover the inside and outside to make it look nice. Inside, she would put crayons, markers, pencils, erasers, scissors and various other craft supplies. She would also give me construction paper, sketch pads and coloring books. I think what made this my favorite gift is that I was the only one of the grandkids who got one and I knew that she really took the time to make something special for me. It is no secret in our family that I was the favorite of my grandparents. Sure, they tried hard not to single me out - but it is common knowledge in our family nonetheless.

So why the walk down memory lane? Tonight I had a friend send me one of those questionnaires on Facebook and there was a question asking how color of Crayola crayon would we be. I looked on Wikipedia to see what all the colors are and I was surprised at how in depth their entry was on the site. Is there anything Wikipedia doesn't know? The person who sent me the questionnaire was online with me as I was answering the questions and I had to share with her what I found regarding the crayons. I was surprised at the amount of information they had about the history of each color and of course, some of the names made us laugh. I remember when we just had red, blue, yellow, etc. Some of the names now just make me wonder what kind of pot these people are smoking when they come up with them! Here are just a few of the weirdest:
AWESOME



BEAR HUG FAMOUS


ATOMIC TANGERINE



BANANA MANIA INCH WORM


BEST FRIENDS



GIVING TREE BEAVER


MACARONI AND CHEESE


MANATEE SUPER HAPPY


Anyone else agree that someone was smoking something when they developed some of these color names? I would love to know why they thought a bland yellow defined Happy or that bear hug could describe a color at all! I would just love to know what their typical process is when coming up with new names. Oh, by the way Crayola - when will see vomit as a color?

This entry was posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments