Girl Has Red Hot Tanning Experience

A 10-year-old girl suffered burns on 70 percent of her body after a 16-minute session at an unmanned tanning salon. A few hours after she left the tanning salon in Port Talbot, South Wales, England, Kelly Thompson was taken to the hospital.

Doctors at the Welsh Center for Burns and Plastic Surgery said if Kelly had stayed in the tanning bed for another two minutes, she would have needed skin grafts. She must stay out of direct sunlight for the next 10 years, doctors told her.

Kelly’s mother, Sharon Hannaford, said Kelly went tanning out of curiosity. She is now making a public plea that all unmanned salons are shutdown.

Okay, my issue with this whole thing is why was a 10-year-old girl getting a tan in a tanning salon in the first place? And why was she not being supervised by an adult? I am not sure you can hold the salon responsible unless the mom didn't give permission to her daughter - but then I don't see a salon letting a 10-year-old use their facility unaccompanied by an adult.

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .